Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Learning How to Hand Quilt Starts Here


Glad you stopped to visit with me.  I’m so excited about quilting and want to share my ideas with you and also hear about your interests in quilting.  I’ve been quilting now for 17 years, but only in my spare time. I still feel like I have a lot to learn.  I’m sure most of you can relate to not having enough time to do something you really enjoy.

I would like to share with you some of my ideas for quilting hoping it will spark an interest for you to begin quilting or just inspire you to try something new to add to the knowledge you already have.


My latest projects have been flannel rag quilts.  I’ve got 3 grandsons, ranging from ages 6-11 and each of them loves to hunt.  For each of their birthdays this year I decided to do a rag quilt with the theme of “deer hunting.”  Of course each one of their fabrics were different so no arguing over who’s is who’s!  If you’ve never tried a rag quilt they are lots of fun and fast.  There’s some awesome flannel besides hunting out there.   Just look for it.

I’m grateful to be able to spend time working at something that I really enjoy which also brings joy to others.  So I hope you will visit my blog often.  Hopefully, it will inspire you to learn to quilt, continue with quilting and try something new, maybe teach your grandchild to quilt whatever inspires you.  Then when the project is done there will be a smile on your face because you’ve accomplished a beautiful quilt/project.

As always your comments or questions about rag quilting are always welcome.  Check back with me and see what else I’ll have for you. Have a good day to all.


-Connie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for writing this blog. My Grandmother and Mother used to quilt but when they were still doing it, I was very young and although the pretty colours fascinated me - i wan't allowed near the quilts - sticky fingers probably! Anyway, I do remember the exquisite hand stiching that they both used and I believe they used some sort of pattern - do you know anything about that sort of thing? Could you do an "article" about this sort of thing? I realize that I am asking about putting the cart before the horse but I didn't want to forget.
    I have down some "cheater" quilts myself ... I bought baby quilt tops and "quilted" them for my neices and nephews. Basically, I just put in tiny stitches around the patterns on the material, used some quilt backing, border materials, and then sewed it all together. They worked out OK but I would like to get some "real" quilting done - if only to carry on the family tradition and satisfy myself that i do have some small amount of crafting in me. (I cannot knit, crochet, sew clothes and my embroidery leaves mush to be desired.)
    Thank you,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete