Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Different Post - Awesome Woodcarving!


It’s Christmas time and I’d like to tell you about another hobby I find fascinating!  I took a trip over the weekend to Ark City, Ks which is about 1 ½ hours from where I live to my cousins house, Carolea.  You might remember this is the cousin that did the chicken quilt, needle turned that I talked about in an earlier post. 

Carolea is very talented in a lot of areas. Another one of her hobbies is woodcarving.  It’s always interesting to visit her because she always has a new project or projects going on.  Christmas time is here and now there are Santa s, snowmen, different types of puzzles, wooden thread spools with Santa faces , misc all over her house.  Now I want to talk about these puzzles that she carves.  She makes different kinds, Nativity, Native Nativity, snowmen, dragons (latest one) and then she has a manger scene with a turtle.  She has written a child's book on this turtle visiting the manager scene.  It is the cutest story.  The puzzle pieces are stored inside this box which looks like a stable, barn or whatever you want it to be.  Inside the box are wood burning details.  Each are different to go with whatever the puzzle is.   All of them are so cute it's hard to pick just one favorite!

Santa Puzzle
She does have a website www.puzzlesinabox.com.  Check it out!  Maybe you know someone that wood carves and a pattern would be a perfect gift.  Or do you have a son that loves to widdle and maybe this would encourage him to continue with this hobby.  She has written several articles on how to and pictures showing steps in the “Scroll saw Woodworking & Crafts" Magazine,  which Holiday 2012 edition has her latest puzzle in it.  Again checkout her website I think you’ll be amazed at her workmanship.



I know this isn’t about quilting but once in a while I have to take a break and talk about something else I really enjoy.  I hope you enjoyed something different with this post!

not finished - pieces need painted

Well Christmas is getting closer.  If you're making gifts keep sewing!  If you aren't making gifts try something new, a new technique, just learn to sew, take a class, etc.  

Till next time............
Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment