Monday, October 29, 2012

"BOO" for Halloween

The first holiday (well I call it a holiday even if we don't get a paid holiday at work) in the Fall is “Halloween.”  There are so many different ways to decorate for this holiday.  Magazines, internet, stores have so many ideas it’s hard to know where to start.  Well I started with a few pumpkins, fall garland with sunflowers, grapes of different colors, small berries and different color of leaves, wall hanging and table runner.  When Halloween is over you can leave the pumpkins, garland and whatever else can stay for Thanksgiving.  Doesn’t that sound like more time for sewing if you don’t have to put everything away after Halloween and redo everything for Thanksgiving?

The wall hanging I just took a piece of the main piece of fabric with lots of color, pumpkins, corn candy, bats, etc. and cut it the size I wanted the center to be.  I then added a small sashing of purple around the center piece.  I’m really excited about the border of stars, moons and spiders.  You ask why I’m excited about a piece of material?  Well this material is “glow in the dark”.  The starts, moon and spiders really glow in the dark.  I remember hanging the wall hanging for the first time and walking in the room and seeing it on the wall and the table runner on the table, it GLOWED!  Awesome!  There was no pattern for this wall hanging but I think if you’re a beginner your quilt store could help you figure it out.  Or get a beginner quilt book with a similar wall hanging and make it using there directions.

The table runner was made from the pattern “Fat Quarter Table Runner.”  This is a quilt as you sew pattern from “Out Of The Blue.”  Once you’ve made the first one, you’ll be creating table runners so quickly all your gift-giving will be taken care of and fast.  This is a perfect way to use fat quarters you might have laying around or from picking up fat quarters and don’t know what to do with.  There are many patterns out there for table runners so if you don’t care for this one check out some of the other patterns available.  Note:  I’ve had this pattern for quite a while so not sure it’s available to buy right now.  Did you notice on this table runner that I put two rows of “glow in the dark” material?  Just love it!


Now that’s some of my Halloween decorations.  Tell me do you have a favorite Halloween decoration? Have you made a Halloween table runner and wall hanging?  Let me know what your ideas on Halloween are?

Hope you have a wonderful and safe Halloween,
Connie

2 comments:

  1. Do the eyes glow??? I would love to scare my 24 yo son with that fabric. The 'funny' guy is always coming up behind quietly and scaring me, just by saying Mom!!! We have a very dark hallway I could place that in.

    Revenge can be sweet...hehehe.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't do much about Halloween in the UK.Although it is becoming a lot more popular with the younger people.
    But after seeing your lovely table runner and quilt I think I might next year.(I love bright colours.)
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete